So, what is ecommerce store and how it differs from traditional retail? The term “ecommerce” means electronic commerce, which is a bit too broad of a term for electronic trade through a site. To be more specific, this word is standing for any kind of trade, which incorporates the transfer of data across the web. It relates to various businesses, from small retail websites to business trade between international organizations.
All electronic commerce sites have some peculiar features, yet they all employ one and the same fundamental functions, such as an acceptance of credit cards. Thanks to this opportunity, virtually all goods or services may be bought on the World Wide Web irrespective of time and distance.
FYI: Want to find out your web development cost? Try our web calculator.
Look at our Trendeo case for inspiration.
Electronic trade has grown quickly over the past decade and is forecasted to proceed at the same level, or even speed up. Since more brick and mortar stores realize the significance of starting ecommerce business and moving their trade onto the Web, soon the borders between traditional and electronic business will become completely blurred.
Decided to create ecommerce site? It’s a perfect idea because internet sales are becoming more and more popular since buyers gain from:
- Lower costs offered by websites for ecommerce in comparison with conventional retail outlets
- Convenience of having any purchased goods at the doorstep the very same day
- Ordering cheap goods from foreign vendors
- Impressive assortment offered by ecommerce storefront
- Comparison engines, which can recommend the most appropriate product or service
- Internet auctions, where people can locate rare and exclusive items
Clothes, food, music, sales text – people buy anything online and benefit from lower costs and convenience. Once you start an ecommerce website, you’ll be able to give discounts since you will eradicate overhead (for instance, salaries and wages associated with a conventional store). These days, convenience makes the difference! Shipping is so rapid today that once an order is being made electronically it can usually be delivered the very same day. For instance, Amazon Prime has managed to build the entire industry around effortless shopping and fast shipping.
Also you can build ecommerce app for bigger impact.
There are many reasons to have an ecommerce website:
- Lower expenses due to reduced labor, paperwork and other costs associated with conventional stores.
- Reduced time. A shorter period of payment, quicker delivery of purchased goods.
- Flexibility and better control. The capability to deal with complicated situations, clients’ profiles and an assortment of goods without the situation going out of control.
- Better relations with business partners. Constant dialogue between business associates leads to long-lasting relations.
- Better relationships with clients. Companies that need a website want to be closer to the buyers because the closer you are to the clients the more difficult it is for competitors to disturb your relations.
- International trade. The Web can expand any business into broader geographical settings.
Electronic commerce works through several steps employing the database, Internet site code, and third party apps like payment gateway. Electronic commerce sites employ an SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) certificate to protect information that’s being transferred. Very important information can’t be stored within the site's database except they use the appropriate Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS).
Read our article: "How to build ecommerce store?" to know more.
When a customer has scrolled through ecommerce shop and determined that he or she would like to purchase, you need to have a procedure accepting the purchase. In ecommerce, it’s recognized as a shopping cart. Apart from recognizing an order, this software performs a few other things:
- calculation of taxes
- processing of different discount prices
- capturing the billing and client’s shipping address
- guaranteeing client’s acceptance of conditions of sale
- creation of codes, for instance, tracking or order number and so on
- presenting clients with shipping options
- forwarding buyers to a payment gateway
- redirecting buyers to download page if the purchased item can be simply downloaded
Ecommerce can become an extremely lucrative venture, yet you can’t raise profit overnight. Before you launch your online ecommerce business it’s significant to perform analysis, ask questions and make decisions on different facts obtained from your study. We hope this article can help your company make a proper decision in turning your venture into successful ecommerce business.