How to Create app Like Airbnb: Feature List and Cost to Develop
- Global Airbnb stats
- How to establish an app like Airbnb on the market?
- Feature list to build an app like Airbnb
- How to market a travel startup like Airbnb?
- App pricing factors and cost of features
- Prep stage for app building
- How much does it cost to build an app like Airbnb
- The Airbnb-like app development process
Thanks to online travel apps like Airbnb, people can book accommodations, buy tickets, and compare prices using their smartphones or laptops.
That is why the online travel industry continues growing. According to Statista, global online travel sales have increased in 2019, counting 755.94 billion U.S. dollars.
And if you plan to develop a travel app like Airbnb, continue reading.
In the article below, we share current Airbnb stats and tops competitors, the guideline on how to make an app like Airbnb, and how much it will cost. Let’s start!
- Being established in 2008, currently, the app has over 150 million active users worldwide.
- As a traveler, you can choose from 650,000 hosts worldwide.
- 6 guests check into an Airbnb listing every single second
- In 2021, Airbnb listings worldwide generated $48.9 billion in gross revenues, up 76.6% from 2020 when Airbnb listings generated $27.7 billion in gross revenues.
Below we describe the top four travel app revenue models so you can choose one for your future travel startup.
Peer to peer network
In this business model, your website or app becomes a mediator between property owners and travelers. It allows travelers to book and pay for the rent. At the same time, you can charge a commission from both sellers and buyers.
The platform shows visitors clickable buttons for booking and charge commission only in case a user clicked on such a button, was redirected to the hotel website, and made a booking.
When visitors pay for their subscription, they can check hotel contact details as well as descriptions. Users can also buy air tickets, rent a car, or even book a holiday package from a travel agency.
From the technical view, Airbnb is built with a two-sided marketplace tech stack, where there are a seller and a buyer. Below we describe the Airbnb feature of travelers and a host cabinet so that you can consider them for your app.
| || |
We used geolocation search in our recent project, Quepro, a social network, where users can find local experts and communicate with them in real-time.
The geolocation radius can be manually adjusted, starting from 100 meters to 100 miles. Users can also use the app in any city in the world by manually changing the location on the map.
Consider creating a Location-aware Project?Download Free eBook
When developing a travel app, consider that API could be a very useful part of the project. API allows the app to receive access to specific functions and databases. And the best part is that your developers could easily access almost any API from scratch. Airbnb already has its own API. The Airbnb API allows developers to retrieve and integrate the functionality of Airbnb in other applications.
By integrating the existing Airbnb API, you can save a significant amount of budget and decrease the development time. If you want to develop another kind of travel app (not Airbnb clone) read our article.
Let’s imagine that you have a ready travel app with all the necessary features. But to make it successful, you should know how to grow it. Below we share the most effective options to make your travel startup popular among users.
- Social Media
- User-generated content
- Customer review
Let me start this part by saying that there are some factors, which influence the cost to create an app similar to Airbnb. Not to mention, you can choose diverse modes of crafting it, which is likely to project onto Airbnb app development cost as well. Here are the major aspects for you to consider and keep in mind:
- the size of the development team
- a number of platforms and devices app is being built for
- the technical complexity of the features
- design – custom vs. standard
So let’s dive right into how much does it cost to develop an app like Airbnb.
Every app-building project starts with creating an overall strategy and fixing a technical base for further operations. These are inevitable steps, which basically create a ground for the future app. This phase usually takes up to 50 hours:
- about 20 goes for the overall setup of the project
- the same 20 – for implementation of API
- around 10 for database pattern
- 5 to 10 more hours – for implementation of various services and libraries
There are some factors, which influence the cost to create an Airbnb clone. Not to mention, you can choose diverse Airbnb app templates for crafting it, which is likely to project onto Airbnb app development cost as well.
Here are the main aspects for you to consider and keep in mind:
- Size of the development team – if you are enthusiastic enough to do a part of a project manager and administer the whole process closely, then you can keep your team short and sweet. Otherwise, except developers and designers, you’ll require a project manager, system administrator, and a couple of more insider managers;
- The number of platforms – iOS, Android, iOS, and Android, add up several different screens to adjust the app to – all this should be considered beforehand based on target audience location, their preferred device environment, and stuff. FYI – Android app development takes about 20 to 30% more time than iOS (iPhone) one;
- The technical complexity of the features– you decide what range of elements you want within your mobile application, so rate them from simple to medium and high complexity. Mind that the price is mostly shaped by how long it takes developers to implement each of these;
- Design – custom vs. standard – if you want to use unique visuals and tools for Airbnb app design instead of standard design, it’s about to change price quite a bit too.
When talking about features, it’s important to mention that the rough timing indicated below covers all stages of creating a feature from drawing logic to testing. Elements are also listed from basic and simple to additional and complex. So let’s dive right into how much does it cost to develop an app like Airbnb.
Estimation is hours
| || |
Registration/ login feature
This is one of the fundamental segments of any app.
To start using it, you need to register and, this way, agree with the conditions and policies of the app usage.
10 to 16 hours
It will be two sorts of profiles:
Basically, users add varied pieces of personal info to the profile like:
Airbnb app framework Settings
This feature allows users to customize and configure all personal data and preferences such as:
In the guest mode within Airbnb, you have a wide range of options to choose from in order to find a suitable location. These are, for instance:
Descriptions of chosen rooms
So once you’ve executed all desired filters, you see a list of search results.
Every item in this list has a wider description with ratings, photos, reviews, available dates, maps, and terms of getting the place.
up to 150 hours
That is a visual and natural alternative to searching for your perfect location – just check various ones on the map, tap to check if it’s important for you to stay near definite sites or something.
Signing up as a host
This is the full function, which enables hosts to place adverts, communicate with potential guests, provide booking and stuff.
100 to 120 hours
Adding to faves
This feature allows users to create personalized shortlists of locations to be able to come back to these at any time, pick, and choose.
10 – 12 hours
This is a truly meaningful tool for communication of any sort within a community.
Live talk opportunity makes users feel high reliability and authenticity of the service and its’ participants.
Up to 40 hour
Friends invitation feature for your Airbnb-like app
Not much to say, you can recommend the app to your friends through invitation.
Estimate the cost of the Airbnb websiteUse our calculator
Nota Bene! Backend
Each feature you decide to pick for your product requires time to craft and configure on both client-side (how it interacts with a user) and server-side (functionality, connections with servers, etc.).
The server-side stack is crucial as well as a wide-scale part of every app building process. It’s also going to be the most time-consuming one. After all, you want an app to perform as a killer, right? You’ll need to add around 600 hours for these operations to the entire timing.
The cost to develop the admin back-end of the Airbnb-like app starts from $35K.
And now, when we’re done with calculating time for building your Airbnb-, it’s the right time to choose who will implement it for you. It basically covers a cash part of the question “how much does an app like Airbnb cost”.
Globally the price differs for hours of developers. Here are average region hourly rates down below:
- USA/Canada-based dev teams – $80 to $250/hour
- Western Europe – $80 to$170/hour
- Eastern Europe – $50 to $150/hour
- Australia – $80 to $150/hour
- India – $30 to $80/hour
The industry of online travel continues to grow. That is why investing in a traveling app like Airbnb could bring a significant profit to your startup. When you know about essential Airbnb features, its competitors, and the development cost, you might think about your traveling app. And we are here to bring your idea into reality.
What our clients say
You might also like: